Falling Stars at the Grand Palais

Five weeks ago, if I hadn't been busting to go to the toilet, we wouldn't have discovered Anselm Kiefer. We had just finished having a quick lunch metres away from the Arc de Triumph and had been strolling around Champs Elysee, its surrounding streets and the Seine when nature called. Incidently, the closest toilet was in the Grand Palais (Arial shot from official website) where MONUMENTA had just begun with its first exhibition, Anselm Kiefer: Sternenfall/Falling Stars. In his own words, "Sternenfall explores the universal metabolism of nature and the stars...encompassing not only our human life, but also the whole universe." However, I really had no idea at the time what I would walk into as I was concentrating way too much on finding a toilet. Even if I had read the huge banner draped outside the Grand Palais, I still had no idea who or what it was. My first thoughts when I entred: "they're still fixing this place up." Mais non, the 'ruin' that I was staring at was "Shattered Hope" and the seven enormous metal boxes were actually houses for his numerous installations. This is where I'll stop and let the pictures do the talking. Verdict: hauntingly beautiful. Did I understand it? Eventually. Although my understanding may have been different from others, I beleive that's what Kiefer intended. (Photo from official website).

Comments

kala said…
One of the things I love about Paris: so many exhibitions to discover. This exhibition looks fascinating. Sigggh. Remember to post all your good exhibit discoveries here, for the art-starved-and-exiled-in-Qatar me! ;-)

Popular Posts