Escargot is a NO NO NO! (for me that is)

Dear M,
Despite what happened I want to thank you for last night! Dinner at your place is always a treat, you know that, even if the latest french fare you served was difficult for me to digest. Not because it wasn't good, but because I have a weak stomach when it comes to snails. "Mind over matter", you said, but my mind couldn't conquer this one, I'm afraid. Especially, if I can see exactly what it is - S-N-A-I-L-S and still in their houses no less!

M, I have tried and tried. Even if yours smelt delicious and appeared palatable, unless they are 'evicted' from their houses ("gutted" just sounds too blurrrghhh), heavily seasoned with garlic, salt 'n' pepper, is drenched in bechamel or butter sauce and covered in cheese (read: unless I cannot identify them as such), my stomach refuses to retain them. So I just wanted to apologise, once again, for throwing up your marvellous dish. I tried really I did. This is just one of those things that I won't be able to put on my 'CV'. I hope I didn't offend anybody.

Je t'embrasse,
Cherublu




After this little episode I decided to educate myself so that I may be better prepared the next time I come to eat them. And I found out some interesting things here. While the topic of rearing snails might be fascinating, I won't get into it. If you're dying to know click here. Now before you go off and find your little critters to enjoy for dinner read these intructions here carefully. The snails must be prepared properly before using them. I DO NOT want to be liable for any horrible side effects, bodily malfunctions, and/or loss of hair! (actually, just made the last one up).

Okay, so when you're ready to cook here are some recipes to start off with: Escargots a la Bourguignonne, Escargots in Wine, Escargots Stuffed Mushrooms, Escargots in Roquefort Cheese. Let me know how you go. If you can't be bothered with all the hassle of preparing them, you can buy them in a can. How wonderfully convenient!

As enlightening as it's been, I'm still not ready to have them on my plate. Unfortunately, my palate has been traumatized even more. It's the purging part I can't get over. However, I find this little one adorable:

Comments

Popular Posts